Sunday, July 19, 2009

Day 47 – Kaiser / Oakland

Sending Mark’s update off today due to computer problem last evening.

We took our chances yesterday and drove to Oakland to see Mark. They were supposed to transfer him on Thursday but Mark came down with an urinary infection so that keeps him there for now. Of course, we don’t know what could occur today. It was a good visit. Mark was in good spirits and they brought him his first real gooood lunch and he sure liked that.

The physical therapists got him in his chair yesterday and he said it feels so good to sit straight up but so tiring after 15 minutes or so. Getting him from the bed to the chair is something, and then getting him back into bed.

We were finally approached by the ‘patient case manager’, and she wanted to know how we were going to manage Mark in a week or so. I just looked at her like ‘you got to be kiddin’ — I guess my red hair stood straight up and I let it rip — well, hopefully he will be in a better position to ‘motivate’ as I cannot see my husband and I lifting him around?? I cannot believe the premature planning these people push for and, like it was a good thing they did not transfer him on Thursday like he is now. Anyway being told we had to furnish his transport vehicle to Richmond for his appts. on Aug 5th, I started to ask her if we should also purchase a revolver too!!!!!

Anyway, guess we have a lot of phone calls to make Monday to make arrangements, transportation and etc. We shall see what occurs along the way.

Talked with Mark this am and he does need to get lots of rehab soon at Kpak*, San Leandro. I have to go google for the map and the Internet did not have a listing for this division. She would not give us the address until we had a plan for him when he is discharged, well I will not tell you what I said. I have been in constant contact with his case manager, nurse and primary doctor in Redwood City, who has been Mark’s doctor for over 25 years. Like I said, Monday will be an all calls day for the Alexanders.

Enjoy a super weekend!
Some more hugs! Tal and Donna

(*Kaiser Post Acute Care)

2 comments:

  1. Donna,

    I know all too well, how frustrating this all can get. Hang in there honey. At least they speak english and you don't have to fly him in a lear jet to get him home.

    I'm so happy to hear that his recoverey is moving along. There will be ups and downs along the way. Know my thoughts are with you each and every day. Hope to be in Ca soon. All my love. P

    ReplyDelete

Mark

Mark

Mark

Mark

Mark

Mark